Saturday 28 February 2009

I Found God at a Buddist Temple

Buddhism has always captured my interest and fascination, in fact a part of me always thought that was I not a Christian, I could practise Buddhism. Visiting the Temple was part of a 'touristy' thing, but on a deeper level, the main reason I went, was a desire to find the peace, contentment...serenity you seem to always see on the faces of monks - because I seem to struggle finding that peace within my own religion at the moment. 'My prayers bounces off the ceiling' is a phrase currently describing my prayer life. But yesterday, as I did a meditative walk in the Temple Garden, I found peace. I found God - the Almighty, Sovereign I am. The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. The God that saved me and loved me enough to save me! There is no other!! Something else I found and came away with, was a renewed respect for the Buddhist Religion. Although there are still some elements I cannot agree with; their values, their principles and their disciplines are worthy of respect and a way of life we should learn from. Unlike before, in my ignorance, immaturity and lack of understanding, I am willing to ...not judge or condemn...but learn. So much so, that I will be returning to this Buddhist Temple to learn more about their way of life and their disciplines. The beautiful thing about all this is that when you read and follow Jesus' life in the Gospels, you see all these disciplines and this way of life in action!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, we have so much to learn from one another - it's always sad for me when people think that God is confined to their world alone when, after all, God created all.

    ReplyDelete